TitleBarRed

TitleBarRed

Tuesday, July 10, 2012

My Day with President Obama


July 10th, 2012, President Obama Campaigns at Johnson Hall 
at Kirkwood Community College 
in Cedar Rapids, IA

This is a log of the day, as experienced by an Amateur Blog writer.

9:26am - I wave my co-workers adieu as I head out of the office, on my way to meet the President of the United States of America. The excitement coursing through me so violently that I forget to tie my shoes. Lucky for me, the Army Corp of Engineers had been notified 5 months prior and promptly set up a trip free environment for me to pass through.

9:47am - The line to this event is longer then Romney's shot to win his home state. My brother and his significant other have been holding my spot for almost an hour. After some condescending back and forth to save face with the people that I was budging in front of, we grab some buttons and snap a picture of the bomb sniffing dog that was screening the bands equipment. Luckily for the band, named "Reefer Ganja Chillums", the dog was a victim of over specialization and had not received his grant for developing it's drug sniffing job skills.

11:14am - Met a very nice gentleman who, based on signage on his shirt, was either named Phil, or Tsa Trainee. He offered to lighten my load as a passed through a metal detector. Sure, I felt safe once I was inside, but after I left the party everyone outside knew I was not packing.

12:05pm - The first guest speakers begin. Including an opening benediction and an awkward moment during the pledge of allegiance when nerves got the better of the speaker, causing him to skip a line. He then attempted to explain to the crowd that this was as embarrassing as one of those dreams where you arrive at school wearing no pants. It got even more uncomfortable when several people from the audience tried to cheer him up by offering him their pants.

12:51pm - The heavens parted, the angel choir sang, the oceans rise began to slow, and for one brief moment, democrats and republicans held hands with all the children of the world and joined the President in a message of peace.

12:51.001pm - The moment passes

12:53pm - President Barrack Obama addresses the wild crowd of Cedar Rapids, Iowa.

12:54pm - Blah blah blah Tax Cuts, blah blah blah I'm not Romney, blah blah blah war in Iraq, blah blah blah really, I'm not Romney, blah blah blah education, blah blah blah seriously though, I'm not Romney. 

   <On a serious note, he spoke about the momentum Iowa gave him back in the '08 primaries, and tried to bring back some of the emotion from the historic '08 election to try and fire up the crowd. No real new ideas where shared, a few jabs at Romney but nothing over the top. He mostly hit home the need to keep taxes low on the middle class but not rolling back government programs when the wealthiest Americans can pay a little more. Overall a pretty generic stump speech.>

1:38pm - In an attempt to illustrate his tax proposal, Obama declared that the 2% of people closest to the exit had to wait for the other 98% to leave, to show how the many can benefit at the sacrifice of the few. Unfortunately (or true to form depending on your political persuasion) the 2% stood their ground, not allowing anyone to pass through the only exit. I used my cunning to shimmy out a window that went directly into Canada, however, my Brother and his girlfriend are still at the event awaiting the 2% to play out their fair share... of Obama's demonstration.

2:26pm - After picking up some lunch and a quick visit to my wife, I return to work. I find it a poor escape from the elation and exhilaration that I feel from the days events. After having a taste of living life with my good buddy Obama, life without him seems a bit dimmer, and less satisfying. I ate a steak dinner, and it just didn't have it's savory taste, I took my dogs on a walk, and it just didn't have the relaxing effect it normally does, I made love to my wife, and it just didn't have the satisfying spark that I've now come to know, after having spent a day, with President Barrack Obama.

1 comment:

  1. Whoa...let's set the record straight here... We did not have steak for dinner tonight.

    ReplyDelete